ROCK FALLS CHAMBER
2021 BY-LAW REVIEW
The Rock Falls Chamber Board of Directors is reviewing and recommending changes to the organization’s By-Laws. The changes reflect updates necessary to facilitate meetings in a modern fashion. All changes are noted below in red and a summary is presented of major changes.
MEMBERS - Please submit any questions or comments to
Bethany Bland, President/CEO - email@example.com or call 815-625-4500 by 3/2/2021.
MEMBERS - To submit a vote use this form.
Pending review and comment, the board plans to review and approve these changes at their March meeting. If you are a member and would like to make comments at the meeting please notify Bethany Bland, President/CEO by 3/2/2021 to be added to the agenda.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT ARE THE ROCK FALLS CHAMBER'S BY-LAWS?
They are the rules by how a non-profit organization is run.
For example: We are run by a board, use a budget, and have staff.
WHY ARE YOU MAKING CHANGES?
Mostly to meet the needs of our changing world. For example - Virtual meetings are a great option for safety and convenience at this time. They make sense - let's do more of them! Making updates to an organization's by-laws is part of a routine for a healthy and growing organization. The proposed changes and the process for making them is listed on our website.
WHY DOES THIS MATTER FOR MEMBERS?
Members can have input on changes. Our board and by-laws represent our membership. If a major change were occurring it would be vital for every member to weigh in. When minor changes occur, our leadership wants to show transparency and allow members to share insight, communicate concerns, etc. We have a process in place to make these changes. You may read more on our website.
AS A MEMBER WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
Take a look and let us know what you think. Summary and copy of entire by-laws posted below. We would appreciate you weighing in using this form: https://forms.gle/BVKsAuGGFzsaNgA1A Let us know if you would you like to share comments at the next board meeting about by-law changes so we can add you to the agenda. Please select one representative per member to speak on your behalf.
I AM NOT A MEMBER - WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
We are a non-profit org that works for our community. Reviewing and making changes relevant to modern technology and best business practices shows that we are a healthy organization that is planning for the future. If you have questions, please feel free to submit them to or call 815-625-4500.
SUMMARY OF CHANGES
(Reviewed and proposed by Rock Falls Chamber Board of Directors 1/14/2021
The Rock Falls Chamber Board of Directors is reviewing and recommending changes to the organization’s By-Laws. The changes reflect updates necessary to facilitate meetings in a modern fashion. All changes are notes below in red and a summary is presented of major changes. You may download a copy of the changes in the link below. All original by-laws are in black, changes are noted in red.
- Removal of student board member. The board attempted to include a student a board member, however found that student’s schedules made it hard for them to attend. High school students found the most engaging part of board participation was volunteering. The board felt that inviting students who were interested to join the Ambassador’s Club was a better fit, because their life experience, schedule, and skills better fit the club’s mission. The Ambassador Club also has helped young people take a leadership role in the community and has a natural fit for mentorship.
- Ability to meet virtually. After COVID-19 changed communication within our community, the board realized that meeting virtually is likely to be one of the most effective ways for members to gather. It is an essential way of doing business moving forward. The board prioritizes in person meetings whenever safe and possible.
- Reduction of board members from 10 to 8. This change has reflected the overall trend nationwide to have smaller boards with more impactful leaders.
- Due to the use of email, 24-7 access to the Rock Falls Chamber Website, the ability to meet virtually, and the speed that information can travel, reduction in time for nominations and notifications will facilitate Chamber work.
- The board has condensed the number of required board meetings, because it has been found more productive to meet every other month and additionally as needed.